POLAHS Powderpuff: Glory and Bragging Rights

On a yearly basis, Port of Los Angeles High School holds a homecoming dance available for all of their students to attend. In order to promote and get the students more involved, the school holds a girls football game, Powderpuff, a few days before the dance.

In absence of an actual football team at POLAHS, powderpuff plays as its alternative. Instead of the usual male players who participate in football there are now girls who can take part in a sport that is very similar to it.

There are multiple reasons as to why the players decided to be a part of the Powderpuff game. “I enjoy playing in the powderpuff because I get to be able to play with my friends, and I get to make new friends along the way,” says freshman Christine Worthington. 10th grader Beatrice Carrillo says, “I decided to join the Powderpuff because I felt like I needed to be more involved in school.” These two players went against each other due to them being in the freshman and sophomore team.

Savannah Torella, Katelyn Viducic, and Maya Brown are also students participating in this event. Torella and Viducic are playing for the sophomore team while Brown is playing for the Senior team. When asked if they enjoyed the event and why they signed up, they responded saying:

“I  really loved the event and I joined because it gives us an opportunity to play against other classmates and it also builds teamwork among my friends”, said Torella.

“Yes, I enjoyed the event and what motivated me to join was because it gave me an opportunity to show my school spirit and play with my fellow classmates”, said Viducic.

“I signed up because I wanted to show my school spirit and I also wanted to get involved with more school activities, because it is my last year at POLAHS, said Brown.

There was some rivalry and attitude between the freshmen and the sophomore, but not as much compared to the juniors and seniors. Because it’s the seniors last year at Port of Los Angeles High School, they were motivated and determined to crush the juniors.

From the seniors’ attitudes during practice, losing was not an option. According to senior Britney Delgado, “We’re all friends, we love each other, and we have each other’s back and we’re all here to beat the juniors.” On the other hand, Mr. Miseroy, the junior coach, had faith in his team and believed that they would take the win against the seniors.

Mr. Miseroy says, “I’m hoping that our defense will stay organized and they will get a little frustrated and then I think we’ll execute a couple of plays and frustrate them even more and their frustration will build on their lack of mental character and crumble them and their souls.”

The rivalry between the seniors and juniors was intense. This was supposed to be a “friendly” game of flag football, but it didn’t turn out that way. The attitudes from both teams changed, during the first 10 minutes of the game. Each team was very determined to win and were both playing with all that they had. Despite, the well thought out plays and the tough attitudes coming from the seniors, in the end the juniors took the win.