Filed under Community, Showcase

POLAHS students attend the Girls Build Leadership Summit

U.S. Senator Kamala Harris stands at the podium in the Los Angeles Convention Center for the Girls Build Leadership Summit on December 15 as she talks to young women about female empowerment.

Photo Courtesy of Los Angeles Wave

Photo Courtesy of Los Angeles Wave

Female students from Port of Los Angeles High School who showed leadership potential and academic curiosity on campus were allowed to attend the Girls Build Leadership Summit in Los Angeles on December 15. Activities Coordinator Pamela Costa entered a lottery that enabled participation in the summit. POLAHS along with roughly 200 other schools across the L.A. County were selected, which resulted in the attendance of about 10,000 people.

The leadership summit was hosted by Rhyon Brown and included appearances from American politician Hillary Clinton, U.S. senator Kamala Harris, and actress Jessica Williams, along with a video message from former first lady Michelle Obama. The event featured interviews and other discussions about the importance of female presence in major leadership roles.

“Empowering girls to be themselves and pursue positions of leadership,” said Clinton when asked what the Girls Build Summit meant to her. She wants girls to feel like they are part of a community, that is building L.A. Clinton’s one on one interview with Jessica Williams also included an in-depth conversation on the importance of education in youth lives.

“Every single young person deserves all the tools that are needed to build a healthy and safe life,” said Clinton. “The more young people speak out for education, the harder it becomes for adults to neglect it.”

Clinton stated that she wanted to see more women in Congress and ultimately in more powerful leadership roles.

As POLAHS’ students listened to the summit, reasons for why they were chosen to attend the event became more obvious.

“I believe I was chosen to go to the summit because someone saw the potential in me. Moreso, it was that they noticed my driving passion to become someone,” said senior Savannah Robert.

Another senior who attended the summit believed she was chosen to attend because of her involvement on campus.

“I think I was chosen to go to the summit being part of POLAHS’ Associated Student Body. I try my best to be a good role model around school and I feel that my teachers see how hard I have been working,” said senior Amada Barba Harris.

Most of the students chosen to attend the summit all have something in common; they believe that they have been prepared with the right tools to make an impact in this world.

The culmination of the Girls Build L.A. initiative is scheduled to be held in May 2018, where participants will be proposing solutions to current social challenges.

About the Writer
Maya Brown, Staff Writer

Maya Brown is a senior who hopes to major in Social Justice and create documentaries for spreading awareness about social and ecological issues affecting different communities. She is also the first African American to take AP Spanish at Port of Los Angeles High School and was the previous editor-in-chief of The Anchor newspaper. She enjoys listening to music, watching movies, and spending time with her friends.