Filed under Community

POLAHS’ students learn about marine life conservation

Aquaculture+and+Marine+Biology+students+engaging+in+a+tour+at+the+Hubbs-+SeaWorld+Research+Institute.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Aquaculture and Marine Biology students engaging in a tour at the Hubbs- SeaWorld Research Institute.

Photo Courtesy of Tim Dikdan

Photo Courtesy of Tim Dikdan

Photo Courtesy of Tim Dikdan

On Friday, April 27, Port of Los Angeles High School’s Aquaculture and Marine Biology classes taught by Tim Dikdan went on a field trip to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) fisheries in La Jolla, CA and were able to meet Science and Research Director Kristen C. Koch along with other scientists researching sea turtles and other marine and land animals in the area. A stressed theme during most of the talks were the indirect paths that most employees took before working at the administration. Most did not know that they were going to end up working at NOAA fisheries, making some of the most powerful decisions for fishermen and fisheries around the world. The students were also able to take a peak at NOAA fisheries’ aquarium, which entailed live white sea bass and abalone in large scale aquaponics systems.

The students also had the chance to visit the Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute in San Diego, CA, which prides itself on credible scientific research that will aid in the conservation and development of our oceans and planet. The students were able to learn about the different techniques and technologies the employees at the institute use in order to raise fish and prepare them for life in the wild, without human assistance. It also included a look at their aquaponics tanks, in which the institute raises the fish for a certain amount of time, and then release them into the ocean on an outgoing tide.

Dikdan hopes to continue the trip next year and ultimately gain more recognition for the Aquaculture class.