Filed under Campus News

AP! POLAHS is Ready!

Student+Kalan+Houser+and+an+AP+World+History+book.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

AP! POLAHS is Ready!

Student Kalan Houser and an AP World History book.

Another year, another Advanced Placement exam! Whether you like to spread out your studying schedule, or cram a week before, every AP student agrees that May can be an exciting month. It’s the month when every AP student across the United States has to take their exam. Starting from the beginning of the school year, these students enroll in an AP class and prepare until May for their exam. AP classes at POLAHS are diverse, ranging from AP Environmental Studies to AP Calculus. When a student takes an AP exam, they are scored from a range of 1-5. If a student receives a score of 3 or higher, they pass!

So how do POLAHS students feel about their exam this May?

Sophomore Quitze Gastelum said she felt confident in her ability to pass her AP World History exam. She thanked her teacher Ms. Moon for preparing her for the test, saying, “Ms. Moon is a great teacher and she’s given us challenging work throughout the year. I read the books that she gave us, reviewed the assignments, and then took notes accordingly.”

Another student, Tayde Bills, spoke about his upcoming AP Human Geography exam. “I feel somewhat prepared,” he said. “I’ve tried to keep up with the reading and I know what I need to be reviewing.”

AP students have studied and prepared for their exams both inside and outside the classroom. Bills said, “I’ve been reading and reviewing sessions with friends. I’ve also asked any questions I needed clarified.”

A student taking AP English, Daniel Chavez, said he studied for his exam by going over what he did wrong on essays and finding strategies to improve his writing. “Context wise, I feel prepared, but I need to improve my time management.”

While May may be a stressful month for AP students, many of them still enjoy taking AP.

“It’s been a difficult class, but in the end I think it will help me,” Chavez stated.

Bills reflected on the past year saying, “ I wanted to try it out and see if I could do it and if I wanted to do other AP classes.”

Gastelum said she took AP World History because she wanted to challenge herself, and because her friends encouraged her to take the class with them.

She, along with many others plan to take more AP courses next school year. Some students are even considering taking two or three AP classes in one year! Perhaps AP students look forward to the month of May more than they realize.